Thursday, August 7, 2008

Life as a Missionary

Family and Friends!!

So here I am in Pavas Costa Rica! I am going to be living here for the next 2 months or so. I´m still not sure what God wants me to do after that, but I am trying to be flexible. I live about 30 minutes outside of San Jose (which is the Capital). Pavas is a very simple city, there are no luxuries out here. I live in a small house with a family of 4. They are all so amazing and truly love the Lord! When I asked them how would I tell people where I leave, they said to simply say "Tu vives en el Barrio" and oh my goodness is it ever true! It is so difficult to go to sleep at night because of all the people gathering around talking or drunken arguments outside my little Tico home. Although the environment that I´m in is a bit dangerous (trying not to exagerate), I feel totally safe and I know that the Lord is protecting me.

Every day I take the bus to a town that looks like TJ Mexico! This is La Carpio, there are tin roofs, trash everywhere and kids running around without a jacket (it rains everyday). It breaks my heart to see such poverty but I feel very blessed to be here. I am currently working with the Kindergarten class of Carpio. These kids are so beautiful and innocent although sometimes you can see the harsh reality of life through their 5 year old eyes. After my days are spent in Carpio I then head back home to Pavas, which is a 1hour bus ride. I then assist the Christ for the City Center (that is just like Kidworks in the states!!). I go in there and I help with the after school programs. The goal of Christ for the City is to keep kids off the streets and show them the love of God! Its so beautiful to witness. My time spent here so far, has been full of joy. I live a very simple life (taking cold showers in the morning), but I´ve never been happier! All I ask is that you please keep me in prayer because there are many ministries to choose from and since I´m here alone I have to build my own schedule. I apologize for not posting pictures up, but I will once I get a chance!!

Much love to you all!!
Dianna Rodriguez

P.S. If you would like to get more information on Christ for the City (they need a ton of help!!) or would like to send me a donation please go to www.cfci.org

No comments: