Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Day by Day


Its been a while since Ive last updated this blog so I think its time for a update. Life in Costa Rica has been beautiful! I enjoy waking up every morning to the sounds of my Tica mom screaming at everyone telling them to get ready for their day! haha. Life starts at 5:30am! So Ive become used to waking up early and going to be early. I usually wake up, take a shower with a bucket! haha yes a bucket..there is no HOT water and so my Tica mom heats it up and throws it in a bucket. At first I thought to myself, "Oh my gosh! I can NOT get used to this" but honestly its not that bad although I do crave a nice hot shower from time to time. I then quickly gather my materials and I head out to catch the bus. I take 2 buses to La Carpio. It takes me about 1 hour to get to La Carpio from Pavas (my home). Once I get there I usually have to quickly rush to my location because La Carpio is not exactly a safe place to be. As Im walking through La Carpio, I can hear people laughing, music playing at him volume, people playing soccer, buses passing by through dirt roads...its very chaotic. But honestly, Ive learned to love La Carpio. There is so much need here!! Once I arrive I set up the classroom and wait for my 4 students to come in...I teach English everyday of the week. I have 4 amazing girls that are between the ages of 14-17 and Im preparing them for a test they have to pass! During class time I try to incorporate the bible as much as I can or Ill open up a little with these girls. I love them so much and I can see that they are in need of a role model. Once Im done with class I usually walk with them to their homes, because they are afraid of walking alone. I then hang out a bit in La Carpio, talk to a few of the people that live there and then jump on the bus and head home. I usually get home around 4pm and by that point Im tired. I come home, eat a typical Costa Rican meal that is sure to have rice and beans (pinto), haha I watch my telenovela (yes yes I know soo lame but I love this show that is very similar to Ugly Betty). And then I debrief, spend time with God and recharge for the next day.
My time spent here has been very rewarding...although I have not had the opportunity to speak out about God as much as I would like to. I know that God has me here for this time. I am very happy in Costa Rica and I think Im going to stay another month working with Christ for the City. So for the month of October Ill still be here serving any way that I can. Honestly, Ive fallen in love with the people here and I cant imagine leaving them anytime soon!
Yesterday was Dia de la Patria (Independence Day) for Costa Rica. It was so beautiful to see all the national pride and see the typical dances. But for the first time since Ive been here it made me miss home! I dont miss the states, but I do miss my family, friends and of course Luis. I miss the little things like my own car, my own room, a hot shower, getting lost in LA, I miss the biola students, my girls, and most importantly...my MAC makeup!!! AAAHHH! I have to go to Panama to buy MAC makeup! Anyway, in October I have to leave the country for 72hours to renew my Visa. I have no idea where Im going to go. I would like to go to Argentina or Cuba, but since my time with Christ for the City is not over yet, I might just head over to Panama for a few days and then come back. I miss you all and I would love to hear from you! Please email me at: Brownskinlady82@yahoo.com

Serving Him the Best I can!
Dianna Rodriguez

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like you're having a blast! oh, and I'll take an extra long hot shower tonight - just 4u! ;)

be safe is La Carpio - sounds cool, but not a place for a girl walking alone!

take care, chris

Maria said...

Girl, just be who you are...you are a reflection of God and that will speak for miles. When the opportunity comes to share, you better take it now! Thinkin' of you always.

Ariel Olivas said...

my adventurous Dianna. Just wanted to leave you a comment--- I really miss you but knowing that you are having the time of your life and truly helping those in need makes me so proud of you!